Piano players, whether amateur and professional, of any age, or any musical persuasion have kindly shared their specially composed pieces with the piano lovers all over the globe. Listen to this year’s Piano Day playlist of these tracks:
“Why does the world need a Piano Day? For many reasons. But mostly, because it doesn’t hurt to celebrate the piano and everything around it: performers, composers, piano builders, tuners, movers and most important, the listener.” – Nils Frahm
Piano Day, a annual worldwide event founded by a group of likeminded people, takes place on the 88th day of the year – in 2017 it’s the 29th March – because of the number of keys on the instrument being celebrated.
The aim of the day is to create a platform for piano related projects in order to promote the development of musical dimensions and to continue sharing the centuries-old joy of playing piano. Piano Day welcomes all kinds of piano lovers — young and old, amateur and professional, of any musical direction – to join in this years festivities. It is intended to be the most joyful of all holidays!
Join in 2017!
The desire to celebrate this versatile instrument is growing greater than ever and we are happy to share this energy with you. Here is how you celebrate Piano Day 2017 on the 29th of March with us:
Organise your own Piano Day Celebration! Send us details of your event via email@example.com and we will come back to you with further details.
- Suffolk (UK) 26th Mar Frances Shelley / Matthew Bickerton / Lewis Barham Info
- Krakow (PL) 26th Mar Kuba Płużek — BAL
- Krakow (PL) 27th Mar Vitaliy Ivanov — BAL
- Krakow (PL) 28th Mar Mateusz Mateja — Magnus — Music Shop
- ANKARA (TUR) 28th Mar MURCOF x VANESSA WAGNER — ANKARA PIANO FESTIVAL Info
- Galway (IR) 28th Mar Galway Jazz Festival / Marcin Masecki — The Mick Lally Theatre Info
- Melbourne (AUS) 29th Mar Nat Bartsch / Luke Howard — Alpha 60 Chapter House Info
- Hasselt (BEL) 29th Mar PIANO DAY(S) Festival: Karl Van Welden, Illuminine, Sophie Hutchings (Official), Christian Rizoo, Fauré Quartett, Lambert, Federico Albanese, Murcof x Vanessa Wagner Pianist, Philippe Thuriot, Jan Michiels & Inge Spinette, Bram De Looze, Julien Libeer — pianist & Oxalys, Wouter Dewit & Play me, I'm yours — Cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Leuven (BEL) 29th Mar Lambert / Federico Albanese / Sophie Hutchings — 30CC Info
- Praha (CZE) 29th Mar Never Sol — Petrohradská Info
- Sofia (BGR) 29th Mar Stoimen Stoyanov-Nocktern — The Bakery Info
- Montreal (CAN) 29th Mar Indigo Info
- Montreal (CAN) 29th Mar Socalled / Brad Barr / Katie Morre / Marianne Trudel and more — La Sala Rossa Info
- Vancouver (CAN) 29th Mar Nathan Shubert / Daryn Cassie / Nancy Letica / Pitre / Sean Bayntum / Jo Passed — Merge Info
- Esbjerg (DNK) 29th Mar Huset Esbjerg Info
- Berlin (GER) 29th Mar Poppy Ackroyd / Khaled Kurbeh & Raman Khalaf / Kaada / Malakoff Kowalski / Henrik Schwarz / Tom Adams / Special Guest — Funkhaus Info
- Erlangen (GER) 29th Mar Carlos Cipa — E-Werk Info
- Nürnberg (GER) 29th Mar Joep Beving — Neues Museum Info
- Budapest (HUN) 29th Mar Magán Olivér / Lesták Marton / Vaghy — Gödör Klub Info
- Rennes (FR) 29th Mar Pavane / Tim Dup — L’Antipode Info
- Paris (FR) 29th Mar LAAKE — La Marbrerie Info
- Paris (FR) 29th Mar L'Impératrice / Bachar Mar Khalifé / Juliette Armanet /Norma / Pépite / Faire / Nusky&Vaati / Mathilde Fernandez — St Merry Church
- Paris (FR) 29th Mar Chassol — Velvet Cream
- Tourcoing (FR) 29th Mar Concert et Performances Audiovisuelles Info
- Barcelona (ES) 29th Mar Berlinst / Carles Viarnès — NOTA79 Info
- Tokyo (JPN) 29th Mar Janis Crunch / Yoko Komatsu — Fluss Info
- Luxembourg (LU) 29th Mar Lambert / Federico Albanese — Rotondes Info
- Luxembourg (LU) 29th Mar Guillaume Flamen / Spécial Pianoplatine — Rotondes Info
- Luxembourg (LU) 29th Mar Françoise Tonteling / Heartbeat Parade — Rotondes Info
- Arnhem (NL) 29th Mar LAVALU / Jeroen van Vliet / Joep van Geffen / Gerhardt / Miriam Moczko / Steven Ivo / Lot Macrander — Uw Pianowinkel Info
- Leeuwarden (NL) 29th Mar Orist / Annelie de Vries / Corné de Wolf / Jara Dijkstra — Theater de Bres
- Krakow (PL) 29th Mar Weronika Mietelska Duo / Nikodem Dybiński — Record Studio Infra Sound
- Poznan (PL) 29th Mar Michal Kmieciak — Scena na Pietrze
- Warsaw (PL) 29th Mar Włodek Pawlik, Janusz Olejniczak, Sławek Jaskułke, Bartosz Dziadosz (Pleq), Hania Rani, Ralph Kaminski— Kredytowa 9 Info
- Lund (SWE) 29th Mar Harald Svensson / Lisa Ullén / Michael Joseph Smith / Mathias Landaeus — Mejeriet Info
- Ankara (TUR) 29th Mar Martin Kohlstedt — Çağdaş Sanatlar Merkezi Info
- Ljubljana (SVN) 29th Mar Greg Haines / Bowrain — Center urbane kulture kino Šiška Info
- St. Petersburg (RU) 29th Mar Igor Khabarov / Denis Stelmakh / Ilya Polyakov — Artmuza Info
- Moscow (RU) 29th Mar Kapiton Neklyudov / Kirill Richter / Fyodor Biryuchev / Aron Bergen — MIET Info
- Dublin (IR) 29th Mar Úna Keane — Dublin Unitarian Church
- Waterford (IR) 29th Mar Impromptu performances — from amateurs and professionals — John Roberts Square (outdoor) Info
- Glasgow (UK) 29th Mar An Evening of Piano Music — For Fica Cafe Info
- London (UK) 29th Mar Piano Day Festival / Piano Circus — Barbican Centre, in Partnership with Spotify and FEURICH Pianos Info
- London (UK) 29th Mar Alev Lenz / Lucy Claire / Laura Theis / Gonçalo Abrantes — One Good Leed A Day Info
- London (UK) 29th Mar Arthur Jeffes (Penguin Cafe) / Ayo Vincent / Beyries / Craig Armstrong / Douglas Dare / Jean-Michel Blais / Lucinda Chua / Neil Cowley — St Pancras Old Church Info
- London (UK) 29th Mar Bugge Wesseltoft / Trim / Matthew Bourne / Dead Light / Andrea Belfi / Neon Dance — Union Chapel Info
- Shrewsbury (UK) 29th Mar Tiny Leaves — Left For Dead Record Store Info
- Milwaukee (US) 29th Mar Mike Schauwitzer / TBA — Acme Records
- Portland (US) 29th Mar City Hall
- Portland (US) 29th Mar Alberta Abbey
- Portland (US) 29th Mar All Classical studio
- Portland (US) 29th Mar Trimet Zoo Station
- Cape Town (ZAF) 29th Mar Carl du Plessis / Rocco de Villiers / Jason Reolon and more — Table Mountain
- Alicante (ES) 30th Mar Carlos Izquierdo — Cultural Center Las Cigarreras Link
- Nantes (FR) 31th Mar Festival Variations: Michel Legrand / Katia & Marielle Labèque / Chassol / Caterina Barbieri / Keith Tippet
- London (UK) 31th Mar All about piano Festival — Institut Français Info
- London (UK) 07th Apr Shoreditch House Piano Day Sessions: John Kameel Farah / Poppy Ackroyd
- Potsdam (GER) 08th Apr Q3Ambientfest: Ceeys / Anne Müller / Stefano Guzzettil / Kinbrae / John Metcalfe / Martyn Heyne / Sophie Hutchings / Midori Hirano / Jeremy Young / Shiny Sugimoto — Fabrik Info
How will you celebrate the Piano Day? Create your own piano events with friends – anything that is piano inspired! Share your videos, poems, photos and don’t forget to tag us in your posts! Let us know about your ideas and we will do our best to support your event as well as to involve it in the worldwide Piano Day celebration.
There are so many pianos that are not being played for several reasons: they are broken, stored in piano shops or used as items of furniture rather than a musical instruments. At the same time there are loads of talented pianists who have no possibility to own a piano. Piano Day gives an opportunity for the holders of the unused pianos to place them where they can be enjoyed by a lot of people. Everybody who wants to share the joy of playing and listening to piano music is invited to participate and take action! This initiative was started last year and is to be continued!
Nils Frahm has prepared special Piano Day treats.
"In the end, every album production leaves you with the same tough task – making the choices for the final track selection. You leave out some tracks for various reasons: some of the tracks are wonderful by themselves, but they simple don’t fit anywhere in the album and others have to be left out because otherwise the vinyl would become too long for a cut in good quality. However, these outtakes are often as important as the final selection and I thought, they might be a great surprise for Piano Day too. I hope in this case, it’s both …“
solo and solo—remains is available for free download in 24bit and mp3 format.
The first project revealed by the Piano Day team in 2015 was the building of what will be the world’s tallest piano, the Klavins M450 designed by the visionary piano builder David Klavins.
Unlike traditional concert grand pianos, which are usually built horizontally, this giant is orientated vertically. Weighing nearly a tonne and standing at 4.5m high the M450 stretches over two floors, a design that allows the strings to vibrate better. However, the project is not about setting world records in terms of size. The aim of it is to expand and go to the not yet reached physical limits of the piano instrument and it’s sound and thereby opening doors to new musical possibilities and dimensions.
Because of it’s much longer strings and larger soundboard among other factors, the sound of the M450 will be characterised by an even clearer sound with a lot more depth and richness of overtones, producing an unrivaled large harmonic spectrum and intensity of tone, which will increase the musical capabilities of the piano, for modern music in particular. M450 is meant to continue the centuries-old history of the piano instrument and and it´s evolution which had rather stagnated in recent decades.
Piano Day would be nothing without you – dear piano lovers all around the world. We want to say a heart-felt thank you for your commitment to the Piano Day projects. The desire to celebrate this versatile instrument is growing greater than ever and we are more than happy to share this feeling with you.
Piano Day is a worldwide celebration of the piano every 88th day of the year.
LFT GMBH & Co. KG · Urbanstraße 116 · 10967 Berlin · Germany · firstname.lastname@example.org