We have some great news for all artists and listeners – The Piano Day playlist is set to return for 2016! Piano players from all over the globe have kindly submitted their tracks to this year's playlist.
“Why does the world need a Piano Day? For many reasons. But mostly, because it doesn’t hurt to celebrate the piano and everything around it: performers, composers, piano builders, tuners, movers and most important, the listener.” – Nils Frahm
Piano Day is an annual worldwide celebration founded by a group of likeminded people around Berlin based composer Nils Frahm. In the same tradition as it’s inaugural launch in 2015, Piano Day takes place on the 88th day of the year - this year 28th March - because of the number of keys on the instrument being celebrated.
The aim of the day is to create a platform for piano related projects in order to promote the development of musical dimensions and to continue sharing the centuries-old joy of playing piano. Piano Day welcomes all kinds of piano lovers - young and old, amateur and professional, of any musical direction - to join in this years festivities. It is intended to be the most joyful of all holidays!
Piano Day will be celebrated all over the world this year: from intimate living room shows to performances in concert halls and special piano inspired activities such as poetry readings, piano honey tastings or workshops about music composition:
- London (UK) 13th Mar She said.so Performance Series — Shoreditch House Info
- Tokyo (JPN) 23rd Mar Stefano Guzzetti, Ian Hawgood — Etruschi Info/Tickets
- London (UK) 26th Mar DAYLIGHT MUSIC: POPPY ACKROYD, ANGUS MACRAE, IVAN ILIĆ, HAIKU SALUT, GAVIN GREENAWAY — Union Chapel Info
- Tokyo (JPN) 28th Mar Haruka Nakamura — Sonorium Info
- Arnhem (NLD) 28th Mar Lavalu & friends — Musis Sacrum Info
- Berlin (GER) 28th Mar 24 hours Piano — Michelberger Hotel Info
- Berlin (GER) 28th Mar RAW CLASSIC PODIUM — Art Loft Berlin Info
- Ljubljana (SLV) 28th Mar Bowrain, Nace Slak — Kino Šiška Info
- Brisbane (AUS) 28th Mar Momo Hamada, Alistair Noble Info
- Eindhoven (NLD) 28th Mar Nino Gvetadze, Frederike Saeijs — Muziekgebouw Eindhoven Info/Tickets
- London (UK) 28th Mar Alev Lenz, Lucy Claire, Yuri Kono, Marie Schreer — One Good Lied a Day Info
- London (UK) 28th Mar Float PR: An evening of piano activities — Bethnal Green Town Hall Info/RSVP
- London (UK) 28th Mar Erased Tapes: Piano performances from Peter Broderick, Michael Price & Peter Gregson and Douglas Dare — The Courtyard Theater Info/Tickets
- Moscow (RU) 28th Mar Kirill Richter, Kapiton Neklyudov — MIET Concert Hall Info
- Nantes (FR) 28th Mar T.Beach, Rasim Biyikli — Le Lieu Info
- Paris (FR) 28th Mar Melaine Dalibert, Fred Blondy — St Merry Church Info
- Melbourne (AUS) 28th Mar Luke Howard, Nat Bartsch, Tim Coghill, Tim Stevens — Bennetts Lane Info
- Tel Aviv (IL) 28th Mar Dani Gottfried, Shlomo Gronich, Moshe Levi, Maya Dunietz, Yoni Lewin, Tomer Bar, Omri Behr, Yonatan Daskal, Noam Havkin — The Zone Info
- Toronto (CAN) 28th Mar Jean-Michel Blais — virtual concert recorded live in CBC Music's Studio 211 Info
- Vilnius (LT) 28th Mar Hauschka — Loftas: Menu Fabrikas Info
- Bordeaux (FR) 08th Apr SCRIME Pieces & Composers — Chapelle du Crous Info
How will you celebrate the Piano Day? Create your own piano events with friends – anything that is piano inspired! Share your videos, poems, photos and don’t forget to tag us in your posts! Let us know about your ideas and we will do our best to support your event as well as to involve it in the worldwide Piano Day celebration.
Join Piano Day festivities online: some of the Piano Day events will be live streamed on our video channel – check it out!
There are so many pianos that are not being played for several reasons: they are broken, stored in piano shops or used as items of furniture rather than a musical instruments. At the same time there are loads of talented pianists who have no possibility to own a piano. Piano Day gives an opportunity for the holders of the unused pianos to place them where they can be enjoyed by a lot of people. Everybody who wants to share the joy of playing and listening to piano music is invited to participate and take action! The first giveaway took place on March 3rd in Berlin’s youth centre“OC23” where a piano was donated by Nils Frahm and and piano builder Carsten Schulz.
Last year Nils Frahm released his album “solo” for Piano Day, which can be downloaded in any desired format and can be listened to for free here. This year Nils has also prepared a surprise for his fans: „solo—remains“ – previously unreleased tracks from Nils’ album „solo“:
"In the end, every album production leaves you with the same tough task – making the choices for the final track selection. You leave out some tracks for various reasons: some of the tracks are wonderful by themselves, but they simple don’t fit anywhere in the album and others have to be left out because otherwise the vinyl would become too long for a cut in good quality. However, these outtakes are often as important as the final selection and I thought, they might be a great surprise for Piano Day too. I hope in this case, it’s both …“
solo—remains is available for free download in 24bit and mp3 format.
The first project revealed by the Piano Day team in 2015 was the building of what will be the world’s tallest piano, the Klavins M450 designed by the visionary piano builder David Klavins. Unlike traditional concert grand pianos, which are usually built horizontally, this giant is orientated vertically. Weighing nearly a tonne and standing at 4.5m high the M450 stretches over two floors, a design that allows the strings to vibrate better.
However, the project is not about setting world records in terms of size. The aim of it is to expand and go to the not yet reached physical limits of the piano instrument and it’s sound and thereby opening doors to new musical possibilities and dimensions. Because of it’s much longer strings and larger soundboard among other factors, the sound of the M450 will be characterised by an even clearer sound with a lot more depth and richness of overtones, producing an unrivaled large harmonic spectrum and intensity of tone, which will increase the musical capabilities of the piano, for modern music in particular. M450 is meant to continue the centuries-old history of the piano instrument and and it´s evolution which had rather stagnated in recent decades.
With 70 percent of the 120.000 euros target reached the piano building is already underway and fans can continue to donate.
Piano Day would be nothing without you – dear piano lovers all around the world. We want to say a heart-felt thank you for your commitment to the Piano Day projects. The desire to celebrate this versatile instrument is growing greater than ever and we are more than happy to share this feeling with you.
Piano Day is a worldwide celebration of the piano every 88th day of the year.
LFT GMBH & Co. KG · Urbanstraße 116 · 10967 Berlin · Germany · firstname.lastname@example.org