“Why does the world need a Piano Day? For many reasons. But mostly, because it doesn’t hurt to celebrate the piano and everything around it: performers, composers, piano builders, tuners, movers and most important, the listener.” – Nils Frahm
Piano Day, a annual worldwide event founded by a group of likeminded people, takes place on the 88th day of the year – in 2018 it’s the 29th March – because of the number of keys on the instrument being celebrated.
The aim of the day is to create a platform for piano related projects in order to promote the development of musical dimensions and to continue sharing the centuries-old joy of playing piano. Piano Day welcomes all kinds of piano lovers — young and old, amateur and professional, of any musical direction – to join in this years festivities. It is intended to be the most joyful of all holidays!
Join in 2018!
The desire to celebrate this versatile instrument is growing greater than ever and we are happy to share this energy with you. Here is how you celebrate Piano Day 2018 on the 29th of March with us:
Organise your own Piano Day Celebration! Send us details of your event via email@example.com and we will come back to you with further details.
- London (UK) 22th Mar Neon Dance — Sadler's Wells Info
- London (UK) 23th Mar Neon Dance — Sadler's Wells Info
- Rétság and Vác (HU) 25th Mar Amanda Bloom and Bruno Sanfilippo — Klavins Piano Manufaktúra Info
- Cracow (PL) 27th Mar Oskar Cenkier — Scena Supernova Info
- Cracow (PL) 27th Mar Kuba Płużek — Strefa Krakow Info
- Lisbon (PT) 27th Mar Piananimal — A Padaria do povo Info
- Arnhem (NL) 28th Mar LAVALU / Kondraschewa Chica / Ode to the quiet / Sebastiaan van Bavel — Luxor Live Info
- Hasselt (BE) 28th Mar Mark Erkens — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Hasselt (BE) 28th Mar Pianoduo Callot-Blondeel — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Hasselt (BE) 28th Mar Vikingur Ólafsson — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Palmerston North (NZ) 28th Mar Tea & Tales — Palmerston North City Library
- Amsterdam (NL) 29th Mar Pianola Museum (Morning Concert)
- Aalborg (DK) 29th Mar Gregers Mogstad / Ulrik Vesti / Nikolaj Svaneborg / Erik Christensen / Christian Vestergård / Anita Samsing / Lise Gam-Jensen / Emil Gryesten Jensen — Kennedy Arkaden Info
- Berlin (DE) 29th Mar Mastul Info
- Berlin (DE) 29th Mar Ätna / Charlotte Brandi / Jan Roth / Janek Sprachta / John Kameel Farah / Niklas Paschburg / Tamar Halperin — Funkhaus Berlin Info
- Braga (PT) 29th Mar Murcof x Wagner / Lubomyr Melnyk / Bruno Bavota / James Rhodes / Grandbrothers — Theatro Circo Info
- Leuven (BE) 29th Mar Tom Adams / Chad Lawson / Christine Ott — 30CC / Wagehuys Info
- Coimbra (PT) 29th Mar Tiago Sousa — Sãlao Brazil Info
- Cracow (PL) 29th Mar NIkodem Dybiński / Michał Gajlikowski — Studio Infra Sound Info
- Galway (IE) 29th Mar David Klavins / Francesco Turrisi — Mick Lally Theatre Info
- Hasselt (BE) 29th Mar David Poltrock - Releaseconcert — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Hasselt (BE) 29th Mar Pigeon - Dovecote Installation — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Hasselt (BE) 29th Mar Pigeon, Dirk Joris, Marie François, Michel Bisceglia, Brecht Valckenaers, Waldo Geuns, Gaëtan Vandewoude & Wouter Dewit — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Helsinki (FI) 29th Mar Taidekoti Kirpilä (Art home Kirpilä) Info
- Ljubljana (SI) 29th Mar Peter Broderick & Rok Zalokar — Kino Šiška Info
- London (UK) 29th Mar Barbican Centre Info
- London (UK) 29th Mar Blüthner Piano Showroom Info
- London (UK) 29th Mar Bing & Ruth / Andrea Belfi & Sebastian Plano / Mikey Ureta — TOWN HALL HOTEL Info
- Luxembourg (LU) 29th Mar Glass Museum — de Gudde Wëllen / Café-Concert Info
- Montreal (CAN) 29th Mar Piano Vertu
- Moscow (RU) 29th Mar Kapiton Neklyudov / Igor Khabarov / Aron Bergen / Andrey Sokolov — Miet Info
- Newcastle (UK) 29th Mar Atmospherica featuring Steve Luck & Simeon Walker — Studio 2G Info
- Phoenix (US) 29th Mar Piano Fusion — MIM Musical Instrument Museum Info
- Poznań (PL) 29th Mar Krzysztof Dys / Jacek Kortus / Michał Kmieciak — Klubokawiarnia Meskalina Info
- Poznań (PL) 29th Mar Piano Night - the afterpartry — Klubokawiarnia Meskalina Info
- Poznań (PL) 29th Mar Dzieciaki na pianinie — Scena na Piętrze Info
- Poznań (PL) 29th Mar Federico Albanese / Michał Kmieciak — Scena na Piętrze Info
- Przezmierowo (PL) 29th Mar Włodek Pawlik — Centrum Kultury Przezmierowo Info
- Rome (IT) 29th Mar Luca Longobardi / Ed Carlsen / Marco Caricola / Roberto Attanasio / Decomposer — Secret Location Info
- Seoul (KR) 29th Mar Bahng Hyewon / Lee Sangwook / Choi Min-seok / Hanearl Lee / 11 — studioLOG Info
- Serres (GR) 29th Mar Nikos Exarchos / Grey paris solo + friends — Cafe Aman Info
- Shropshire (UK) 29th Mar Joel Pike — C.A.C. Info
- Tourcoing (FR) 29th Mar AAIRIAL + BARBARA DANG — Café de Paris, l'Audito Info
- Waterford (IE) 29th Mar Elaine Nolan — Shine Discovery Info
- Waterford (IE) 29th Mar Outdoor Performances — John Roberts Square Info
- Hasselt (BE) 30th Mar Piano Lecture — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Hasselt (BE) 30th Mar Jan Michiels / Inge Spinette / Lore Binon — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Hasselt (BE) 30th Mar SCHNTZL & LABtrio — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Hasselt (BE) 30th Mar Jeroen & Sandra Van Veen – Canto ostinato — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Liège (BE) 30th Mar Christine Ott — L'an vert Info
- Thessaloniki (GR) 30th Mar Grey paris solo + friends — Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art
- Waterford (IE) 30th Mar Outdoor Performances — The Apple Market Info
- Waterford (IE) 30th Mar Anthony Daniel / God is a Glitch — The Large Room, City Hall Info
- Trieste (IT) 30th Mar Bowrain — Casa della Musica Info
- Berlin (DE) 31th Mar Taking Names — Studio Caroline Geller Info
- Hasselt (BE) 31th Mar Philippe Thuriot & Maarten Lingier — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Hasselt (BE) 31th Mar Chad Lawson — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Hasselt (BE) 31th Mar Julien Marchal / Emilie Levienaise-Farrouch / Joep Beving — Piano Days festival, CCHA - Cultuurcentrum Info
- Riga (LV) 31th Mar Fyodor Biryuchev — Kanepes Kulturas centr Info
- Utrecht (NL) 01st Apr Christine Ott & Julien Marchal — Tivoli Vredenburg Info
- Thionville (FR) 03th Apr Sielle — Adagio Info
- Beirut (LB) 04th Apr Daniel Karout / Arthur Satyan Trio / Vladimir Kurumilian & Jad Taleb — Station Beirut Info
- Paris (FR) 04th Apr Les Trois Baudets Info
- Paris (FR) 05th Apr Bruce Brubaker — Collège des Bernardins Info
- London (UK) 06th Apr Pianofield — Blank 100, Unit 5 Info
- Budapest (HU) 06th Apr A38 Info
- Budapest (HU) 07th Apr A38 Info
- Madrid (ES) 08th Apr Iván Melón Lewis / Eduardo Fernandez — Clamores (Morning Concert) Info
- Warsaw (PL) 08th Apr Luke Howard / Hior Chronik + Hania Rani & Dobrawa Czocher / Misia Furtak / EABS / Pianohooligan Piotr Orzechowski — Niebo Club Info
How will you celebrate the Piano Day? Create your own piano events with friends – anything that is piano inspired! Share your videos, poems, photos and don’t forget to tag us in your posts! Let us know about your ideas and we will do our best to support your event as well as to involve it in the worldwide Piano Day celebration.
There are so many pianos that are not being played for several reasons: they are broken, stored in piano shops or used as items of furniture rather than a musical instruments. At the same time there are loads of talented pianists who have no possibility to own a piano. Piano Day gives an opportunity for the holders of the unused pianos to place them where they can be enjoyed by a lot of people. Everybody who wants to share the joy of playing and listening to piano music is invited to participate and take action! This initiative was started last year and is to be continued!
Nils Frahm has prepared special Piano Day treats.
"In the end, every album production leaves you with the same tough task – making the choices for the final track selection. You leave out some tracks for various reasons: some of the tracks are wonderful by themselves, but they simple don’t fit anywhere in the album and others have to be left out because otherwise the vinyl would become too long for a cut in good quality. However, these outtakes are often as important as the final selection and I thought, they might be a great surprise for Piano Day too. I hope in this case, it’s both …“
solo and solo—remains is available for free download in 24bit and mp3 format.
The first project revealed by the Piano Day team in 2015 was the building of what will be the world’s tallest piano, the Klavins M450 designed by the visionary piano builder David Klavins.
Unlike traditional concert grand pianos, which are usually built horizontally, this giant is orientated vertically. Weighing nearly a tonne and standing at 4.5m high the M450 stretches over two floors, a design that allows the strings to vibrate better. However, the project is not about setting world records in terms of size. The aim of it is to expand and go to the not yet reached physical limits of the piano instrument and it’s sound and thereby opening doors to new musical possibilities and dimensions.
Because of it’s much longer strings and larger soundboard among other factors, the sound of the M450 will be characterised by an even clearer sound with a lot more depth and richness of overtones, producing an unrivaled large harmonic spectrum and intensity of tone, which will increase the musical capabilities of the piano, for modern music in particular. M450 is meant to continue the centuries-old history of the piano instrument and and it´s evolution which had rather stagnated in recent decades.
Piano Day would be nothing without you – dear piano lovers all around the world. We want to say a heart-felt thank you for your commitment to the Piano Day projects. The desire to celebrate this versatile instrument is growing greater than ever and we are more than happy to share this feeling with you.
Piano Day is a worldwide celebration of the piano every 88th day of the year.
LFT GMBH & Co. KG · Urbanstraße 116 · 10967 Berlin · Germany · firstname.lastname@example.org